Teaching my kids the value of money

by Danielle on March 10, 2011

in Uncategorized

Now that were back in the city we have access to so many wonderful activities and there’s so much more to explore but sometimes it feels like a constant battle with the kids always asking to go somewhere or take a quick trip to Sushi Train or Hanaichi {its true, they opt for sushi over MD’s}.

I wanted to teach them about the value of money and let them see that everything that we do in our lives and it’s not just given to us so a few weeks ago the kids and I started doing a catalog run in our local area. Twice a week the kids and I pack up and deliver catalog in a very peaceful part of our suburb. It takes us about an hour and we usually stop at the park for a snack and a play.

I can’t tell you how fantastic it’s been for the kids. It’s so nice to get them out doors and indulge in a little bit of exercise, it seems to happen so rarely these days. Effie usually pushes the trolley while Josceline runs up and puts the catalog in the mail box.
While we walk we have lots of talks about money and what their money could buy them. What I love the most is that it’s getting them to think outside the box. Ef’s old enough to know what she’s working towards and how doing these little things means that all the little things we do like eating out and buying gifts are things that are earned and money don’t just grow on trees. Right now the girls are saving for a trip to sea world and if they keep it up they will be there before they know it.

Disclaimer: This little side project is under my name and I am in no way using my children to profit off their hard work it’s simple a way for my kids to think outside the box and give them a chance to understand the value of money and what good comes from working hard and earning a little cash. Realistically to do this I spend a few night sitting in front of the tv folding catalogs and watching trashy tv and then the girls walk a few streets in the afternoon and I pop out and do the rest when their in bed if there is any left over. If it’s hot or raining or blowing a gail I do not send my children out to deliver catalogs, we just stay home and chill in front of the tv or do art and craft in the kitchen.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Melissa *Suger Coat It* March 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE this. My parents always had businesses so we got to choose which one to go to and help there for our pocket money {quite good in those days $20 a week}.

And the look on {is that!?} Effie's face is priceless.

Rah March 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

One of my biggest disappointments was that my parents never taught me about money… Funny considering how broke we were.
Your girls are damn lucky to learn at an age where they will grow up to always respect money :)

Leah March 11, 2011 at 7:50 am

I don't think you need that disclaimer (though I understand why you wrote it). Even if they did go do it in extreme weather that'd be ok! I think it is a brilliant idea, and I am sure they'll have good memories of their first job. My partner fondly reminisces about his paper round lol

I find my nearly 8yo has a very fluid sense of what is a lot or not much money. She is not very fussed about receiving money for birthdays etc. On one hand I don't want to make her care but on the other, it is important she learns how to be financially responsible.

BOB & MABEL March 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

This is a great idea. We are always trying to teach our 3 the value of money. Its not always an easy thing to do but it so worthwhile.

MostlyFlumxd March 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You don't have to explain your reasoning, I think it's a great idea. Also, cause I love your blog so much I added it to my Love Links this week on my blog. Thanks for posting such great stuff!

Zoe March 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great idea! Good excuse for some exercise!

Amy March 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm

What a great idea! Has someone given you crap for it before, hence the reason for the dislcaimer?).

Wish I could convince my 2 year old to want to do this :P

Danimezza March 13, 2011 at 2:17 am

Brilliant ;)

cjtato March 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

I just love the look on Ef's face. I see a similar look here somedays with my almost 8 year old. LOL

Was great meeting you and your gorgeous bubba yesterday! :D

emmaonafarm March 13, 2011 at 11:22 pm

love the disclaimer….love the idea….how special the trip to seaworld will be now!

Chantelle {fat mum slim} March 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

What a great lesson for them to learn.

I love your disclaimer! I had to laugh! We know you're not making a profit from your little people. x

Danielle March 15, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Thank you all the kids really do enjoy.

Nobody has ever said anything about it but I added the disclaimer just invade. You never know how people are going to read things :)

Terry Bisset March 16, 2011 at 2:31 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all, quite the opposite. It teaches them both value and responsibility.